1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 23, 2020 10:06 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking records about my father's release from camp in Poland

Darlene Gau Newbie

Where can I find information about the US embassy helping my father.s release from a concentration camp in 1948 in Poland?

• Re: Seeking records about my father's release from camp in Poland
          Rachael Salyer Scout

Dear Ms. Gau,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Central Decimal Files, 1910-1963 in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59) that may be helpful for your research. These records are arranged in several chronological segments (e.g. 1940-1944 and 1945-1949), and there is a Name Index to them. Most of the records and the index have not been digitized. For assistance with or access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We also located the series Records Relating to Poland, 1949-1952 and Program Files, 1953-1957 in Record Group 59 that contain information about displaced persons in Poland after World War II. In addition, we found the series General Records, 1942-1947 and Telegrams, Airgrams, and Notes from Other Missions, 1944-1947 in the Records of the Foreign Service Posts of the Department of State (Record Group 84) that may contain some relevant information. Please contact RDT2 with questions about these records as well.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from  RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!