1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 18, 2020 7:55 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking detailed records about Fleet Maintenance in Pacific

Bill Price Newbie

I am looking for details on Fleet Maintenance (FM) during WWII in the Pacific for my grandfather's memoir that I am writing.  He served as USN Commander initially in Pearl Harbor organizing what became a formal FM program to replenish ships and Marines progressing across the Pacific, and then he was based on some of those islands towards the end of the War.  He won the Bronze Star for his service.  I want to be able to access and cite USN records, obtain more photos (he gave me quite a few), and cite how FM was one of the many critical factors to win the war.

• Re: Seeking detailed records about Fleet Maintenance in Pacific
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Price,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 42 series & 1334 file units relating to Fleet Maintenance during the 1940s in various record groups. It is possible that there are additional correspondence series that have records on the matter but do not specifically mention the topic in the Catalog description. For more information about the records listed in the Catalog, please email the reference unit listed as the contact in the description. For more information about Naval records relating to fleet maintenance in general, please email National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports of officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from service after 1902 and prior to 1958 are located at  NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you many leave it blank or write in estimates, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and other NARA units. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Also, the Naval History and Heritage Command may be able to provide additional information and advice regarding your research.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!