8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2020 4:21 PM by Brian Andrews Branched to a new discussion.

Seeking awards of Elmer Ross Andrews

Brian Andrews Newbie

How do I  get the Ribbon, that goes on the Silver star. And the FLOURADEGAR Braid? My Grandfather received in WWII. Those & his other decorations were taken out of the shadow box. His name was Elmer Ross Andrews, out of Snohomish , WA. His unit was at Fort Lewis, 742nd Ordnance.

• Re: Seeking awards of Elmer Ross Andrews
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Brian,

There are many secondary sites on the internet that sell civilians. Were you able to find out what his war unit or tank battalion was for the 3rd Armored. The pic of the 742nd Tank Battalion was actully never activated overseas from what I read, and were part of the ZI also known as Zone Interior. There maybe another unit he served in during the war. Here are some that he may have been with during the war. They were apart of the 3rd Armored.

32rd Armored Regiment

33rd Armored Regiment

36th Armored Infantry Regiment

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

J. Andrew Scout

Are those patches you found in his belongings?  Because those are for the 742nd Tank Battalion and the 3rd Armored Division, not any Ordnance unit.

According to the Center of Military History, the 742d Ordnance Light Maintenance Company was part of the 42nd Infantry Division, which used the "Rainbow" patch.  Might this be the unit?  Of course, he may well have been assigned to several different units over the course of his time in the Army. Still, an ordnance unit would be an odd slot for a tank commander, unless he switched occupational specialties which I suppose is also possible.

https://history.army.mil/documents/ETO-OB/42ID-ETO.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42nd_Infantry_Division_(United_States)

I also can't find a single reference anywhere to a "Fleur de Jarde." A literal translation is "flower of garden" which seems an improbable name for a military award. Are you sure it wasn't a Croix de Guerre or something like that?

Brian Andrews Newbie

Hi,J Andrew; & Elliot Schneider :

Thank you so much for your responses.

The 742nd was a patch in his little box. The pictures i have of him in France Was the 3rd Armored .The picture i had was of Deulle kissing him on the cheek.Giving him Something? I thought it was the Braid.Witch i always thought was the Fleur de Jarde. But i could be wrong? I do know by letters he landed on OHMAHA Beach. And at a place called Vosser Hill.

, And Battle of the Bulge Where he recieved the Silver Star & Purple heart . I asked him a few times but he would only talk about the picture of Deulle kissing him on the cheek. .I know he joined the Army at Fort Lewis Washington State. He went to Arizona  for some kind

of training.

I had  his Silver Star Purple heart & the Braid master sgt stripes. Victory medal And  3 different ribbins  on a bar about 3" long. One had 3 stars on on And a red white blue one, with one star. At a party. Someone Broke into the shadow box and stole everything but the silver part of the silver star. It was wired in too good i guess? But the ribbon was ripped off of it!

I wish i knew more!? But he never talked about it! And Wouldn't. Sometimes he would scream in his sleep! It scared me as a kid! I'm 56 years old now! And still remember it?

I was hoping to find the ribbon to put back on the silver star. Thats all i have left!

Thanks for your help! I'm just sick about the items being stole!

Blessings

Brian Andrews

Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Andrews,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

For Army personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.  For requesting medals and awards, please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."

We searched the World War II Enlistment Records on the National Archives’ Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the following entry for ANDREWS#ELMER#R that  provides his service number and his enlistment date, which you should include on the SF-180.

Next, we searched National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that includes various records of the 3rd Armored Division during WWII. We also located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes several files units of the 3rd Armored Division during the 1940s. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. We were unable to locate records of a 742nd Ordnance unit attached to the 3rd Armored Division.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!