4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2020 10:49 AM by Michael J. Hancock

Seeking military records of Murray Katzman

Shawn Cheney Newbie

I am seeking way to find records for Murray Katzman. He served in the Marine Corps on Tarawa during WWII. I am trying to find any information about his family.

• Re: Seeking military records of Murray Katzman
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Shawn,

Believe it or not on my genealogy site there are numerous Murray Katzman ranging from a date of birth from 1898 to 1920. Many of these names are from New York, and each one has a different spouse. Do you happen to have any additional information on your individual so I can narrow my search down. Here is  a couple of draft cards maybe help you decide which one? I found many Marine Corps Musters but all Katzman had different service#s, and I did find one Katzman that was in the New York Guard in 1939 prior to the war. I will put that one down here as well you can tell from address on the New York Guard card that it matches the Draft card below it.

So you can see having 4-5 different Katzmans are hard to pin point, if you have any additional information that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

3 people found this helpful
              Shawn Cheney Newbie

Thank you very much Elliot,

The only additional information I have right now is that he was in the Army during WWII and served in the Battle of Tarawa.  When he volunteered for the Marine Corps his name was Murray Katzman.  Sometime during his enlistment he changed his name to Murray Kaye.

Thank you again,

Shawn

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Shawn,

found this on my ancestry website for a Marine Corps Muster Roster for 1942

Name:Murray M Katzman
                  Muster Date:Oct 1942
                  Enlistment Date:26 Jan1942
                  Station:Marine Scout Bombing Squadron One Ffifty-One, Marine Aircraft Group Thirteen, Fourth Marine Aircraft Base Defense Wing, Defense Force, Area. Tutuila, Samoa

Name:Murray M Katzman
                  Muster Date:Apr 1942
                  Station:Vmo-151, Mag-13, Task Group A, Apa Sh-Urgo, Uss Mccawley, At Sea

These are digitized on ancestry its a paid site.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
                Michael J. Hancock Wayfarer

Dear Shawn Cheney,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA’s National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful