8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2020 6:04 PM by Randy Laymon

Seeking prisoner of war records for Daniel W Laymon

Randy Laymon Newbie

How do i find prisoner of war records for a Civil War soldier? His name is Daniel W. Laymon and he served in the 5th Indiana Cavalry. I was told to look under M540, Roll 43. I have his muster records which indicate he was captured at the Battle of Resaca, Ga.  Family lore says he was at  Andersonville, but the Park has no record of this. Thanks for any help.

• Re: Seeking prisoner of war records for Daniel W Laymon
          Susannah Brooks Scout

M540 is the index to Union Soldiers and Laymon would be on roll 43.  His service record (might be what you called "muster records") should list what prison he was sent to, if it was known.  Federal prisoners of war records are in record group (RG) 249. 

This is copied from one section in the federal guide to records [https://www.archives.gov/research/guide-fed-records/groups/249.html] regarding prisoners at Andersonville and several other Confederate prisons:

249.2.2 Records relating to individual prisoners of war

Textual Records: Registers, rolls, and lists of federal prisoners, including registers of deaths, escapes, and prisoners confined at Andersonville, GA, Charleston, SC, and Richmond, VA; and rolls of federal prisoners of war who enlisted in the Confederate Army, 1862-65. Registers, rolls, and lists of paroled federal prisoners of war, including registers of arrivals and departures at Benton Barracks, MO; Camp Chase, OH; and Camp Parole, MD, 1862-65. Registers of exchanged prisoners, 1861-65. Statistical registers relating to Confederate prisoners, 1861-66.

These records would be at the National Archives (NARA) in Washington DC.

1 person found this helpful
            Elliot Schneider Navigator

Randy,

According to the Adjutant General Office Report for Indiana  he was with the 90th Indiana Regiment/5th Calvary. He mustered out in 1865 and was promoted to 1st Sgt.

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
              Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Laymon,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled Indexes to the Carded Records of Soldiers Who Served in Volunteer Organizations During the Civil War in Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that includes digitized cards for Laymon, Daniel W - Unit: 5th Cavalry, Company: M - Enlistment Rank: Sgt, Discharge Rank: Sgt. and Layman, Daniel - Unit: 5th Cavalry, Company: M - Enlistment Rank: Sgt, Discharge Rank: Sgt. These cards are that you would locate on M540, roll 43.

The listings for him in the index indicates that there should be a record for him in the series Carded Records Showing Military Service of Soldiers Who Fought in Volunteer Organizations During the American Civil War in Record Group 94. For prisoners of war, these records may include a "Memorandum From Prisoner of War Records" that lists the prisons the soldier was held in. His record is not available online. To order copies of his record, please fill out a NATF Form 86 and mail it to Archival Operations Washington D.C., Form 86 – Military, National Archives and Records Administration, 700 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20408-0001. When submitting the order, please print out and attach the index cards we linked above to make it easier for staff to locate the file.

There may also be a pension file for him or his survivors which could provide additional information about his service and imprisonment. To request a search for a pension file, please fill out and submit a NATF Form 85.

We also located a series titled Registers of Federal Prisoners of War Confined at Andersonville Prison, Georgia in the Records of the Commissary General of Prisoners (Record Group 249). This series was microfilmed as National Archives Microfilm Publication No. M1303, which has been digitized by FamilySearch and is available with a free account.

In addition, we located 200 record series in Record Group 249 relating to Union prisoners held, paroled, or exchanged by the Confederacy. For more information about these records, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1.

Also, NARA has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice and has turned off the option to order service and pension records online. You may still mail in NATF Forms 85 and 86, but these orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Randy Laymon Newbie

Thank you for the very detailed response.  I really appreciate it.  Since I already have a copy of his service records, I don't think I need to request a form 86.  Agree?  Also, I have some pension info from FamilySearch, but there is no mention of where he was a prisoner.  So, there is no reason to request a form 85 either?? You mentioned Group 249, as did another person.  Should I just send an email to the address you provided and simply ask them what I am looking for? Thank you again!

Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Laymon,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

His service records would depend on if what you have is the full Carded Record, aka Compiled Military Service Record (CMSR), from the record series we linked.  You previously used the term “muster records.”  If you mean the muster rolls kept at the regimental level that would not necessarily include the information about his prisoner of war time that was added to many CMSRs for former POWs, because the regiments would not have know what happened to a prisoner of war, whereas the the CMSRs were created after the war and compiled information from any different sources. Also, if you are referring to records created and maintained by the State of Indiana, that may not be the same as the CMSRs at the federal level.  For examples of the type of records we are referencing, see Compiled Military Service Record of Private Robert K. Sneden, Companies D and E, 40th New York Infantry Regiment and Compiled Military Service Record of Corporal Isaiah L. Green, Company C, 37th Indiana Infantry Regiment, both of which also include the previously mentioned memorandum from prisoner of war records. Please note that the level of information in CMSRs will vary from record to record.

The Union Pension Records available on FamilySearch are only the indexes and some payment cards.  The full files are not available on FamilySearch and need to be ordered using NATF Form 86.

For records in Record Group 249, please email the staff of RDT1 using the address we provided. RDT1 has custody of these records and the staff can provide the most detailed advice regarding using them for your research.  We would suggest that you include in your inquiry the fact that the Andersonville National Historic Site does not have his name in their databases. He may have been at a different prison camp.

Please be aware that the staff of RDT1 are currently teleworking. Therefore, they can not physically check all of the records themselves for you anytime soon but they should be able to tell you what you need to do when conditions permit them to increase their time on site for remote reference requests and/or reopen the research rooms.

We hope this information is helpful.

Randy Laymon Newbie

Hi Jason,

Thank you again.  You are a big help.  It doesn't seem that I have what you call the full carded record.  I do have several "muster records", with various titles, but mostly "Company Muster Rolls".  There is one entitled "Muster Roll of Detachment of Escaped Prisoners at Camp Parole, Annapolis,  MD.  None of these documents indicate which prison he was at, just that he was captured at Resaca, GA.

So it looks like it would be worthwhile to send in the 86 Form, which I will do.  I will also email RDT1.

Thank You!