2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2020 11:34 AM by Holly Rivet

    Seeking military history of Robert C Thickpenny


      I am seeking military history of Robert C. Thickpenny, ASN 39128035. He was inducted on March 20, 1943 and entered into active service on March 27, 1943. He was honorably discharged on February 25, 1946 and re-enlistment in the USAF-Reserve on July 25, 1946. He was honorably discharged again on April 29, 1949 and re-enlisted again in the USAF-Reserve on April 30, 1949. He was honorably discharged for the last time on November 30, 1952.  Please provide response to additional query regarding monetary compensation, if any, in his reenlistment actions.  Thank you.

        • Re: Seeking military history of Robert C Thickpenny
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          You might want to try and order his final pay records but you will need to wait until NPRC operations resume. May also want to try contact DFAS they have a section under veterans were you could fill out information you are seeking for any type of monetary monies that might have been paid.





          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking military history of Robert C Thickpenny

            Dear Mr. Thickpenny,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The NPRC does not make determination of benefits for military service.  The NPRC is the custodian of OMPFs from this time frame and these official documents may be required to apply for certain military service benefits.  You may contact the Veteran's Administration for assistance regarding this matter.


            You may request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Be sure to include all of the information you provided to us on your form.  Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!



            Holly Rivet