3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2020 1:44 PM by Alice Lane

    Seeking military records of William Bienes


      I would like to know my fathers military records. He passed away on May 12 1953 in  New York., 7 months after I was born so I never knew him. My mother also passed away in 2012. I am married to a retired Navy Chief. My father's name was William Agustus Bienes. I don’t have any more information then that afraid my mom was never into talking about family.  He had a brother named Robert Bienes.

        • Re: Seeking military records of William Bienes
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Here is a copy of his burial card. Looks like he was a Machinist Mate (MM Ist/c) Also found him on the USS Goss (DE-444). You can now take this information and when NPRC re-opens in St. Louis you can request his full military records file if they have it available. There was a fire in early 70s that destroyed many records but I think the Navy records were minimal loss compared to Army and Air Force service member records.





          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records of William Bienes

            Dear Ms. Hayes,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            • Re: Seeking military records of William Bienes
              Alice Lane Ranger

              Hi Eleanor,

              Welcome to History Hub


              You can get information about your father  William Augustus with 3 u's Bienes on


              It is a pay website but you can get a free trial.


              Alice Lane

              Volunteer Researcher