2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2020 11:11 AM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking great-grandparents naturalization records


      I am trying to find official copies of naturalization records for my great grandparents. How do I get copies?

        • Re: Seeking great-grandparents naturalization records
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

          Prior to 1906 a person could be naturalized in any court in the US (local, county, state, or federal), so you would have to know where they lived at the time they were naturalized. Then look for the court or courts closest to their home.   The year of naturalization is listed on census records beginning in 1900, but I have found that often the information varies from census to census.  Therefore, consider the information as a clue, rather than fact. 

          • Re: Seeking great-grandparents naturalization records
            Cara Jensen Tracker

            Dear Ms. Potter,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            As the previous poster stated, prior to September 27, 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or Federal) could grant United States citizenship. Often petitioners went to the court most geographically convenient for them. As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in state or local courts. However, a few indexes and records have been donated to the National Archives from counties, states, and local courts. We suggest that you contact the National Archives facility serving the state in which the petitioner resided to determine if records from lower courts are available.


            Beginning on September 27, 1906, the responsibility for naturalization proceedings was transferred to the Federal courts. If a naturalization took place in a Federal court, naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be in the custody of the National Archives facility serving the state in which the Federal court is located.


            Unfortunately, no central index exists. To ensure a successful request, please include the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from NARA reference units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).


            Certificates of citizenship were issued by the Federal courts until October 1991 when INS took over responsibility for naturalization proceedings. All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created since September 27, 1906 and may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!