1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 18, 2020 9:30 AM by Holly Rivet

    Seeking dad's military records


      How do I get copies of my deceased dad’s military records? I am looking for the unit he was in during WWII and the years he was stationed in Germany.

        • Re: Seeking dad's military records
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Ms. Mills,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          You may also be able to locate his registration information (including the service number) on the National Archives Access to Archival Databases Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938-1946 (Enlistment Records).  This record series only includes enlisted men and did not cover officers or inductees.


          Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!



          Holly Rivet

          2 people found this helpful