3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2020 12:16 PM by Patricia Towers

    Seeking military service records of Frank J Spirek, Jr

    Patricia Towers Newbie

      My father, Frank J. Spirek, Jr., was in the 187th Airborne in Korea during 1951-1952.  He was a paratrooper and made a combat jump in the Battle of Sukchon - Sunchon (21 October 1951).  I think he was in the 3rd Battalion, and (perhaps) in Company I or Company K.  Is there any way for me to confirm the identity of his Battalion and Company?

        • Re: Seeking military service records of Frank J Spirek, Jr
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Not sure if the dates incorrect but the Battle of Sukchon was the following. On October 20, 1950 the 187 Regimental Combat Team made combat jumps near the towns of Sukchon and Sunchon in North Korea in the attempt to cut off fleeing communist forces. The Rakkasans fought named engagements at Suan, Wonju, Kaesong, and Inje. In Operation Tomahawk the 187th Airborne made the second combat parachute jump of the Korean War at Munsan-ni on March 23, 1951. The regiment returned to Japan to serve as the strategic reserve in June 1951. In May 1952, the Rakkasans were ordered to quell a North Korean and Chinese Communist prisoner of war (POW) uprising on the Japanese island of Koje-do. The 187 was inserted to the line on two other occasions, in October 1952 and June 1953, as a stop gap against Chinese offensives at Wonton-ni and Kumwha.


          According to my genealogy site his service dates were from May 4th 1951- May 4th 1953. So if these are correct he would not have been on that Mission, he may have been on other drops but not Sukchon Parachute Drop.


          Hope this Helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military service records of Frank J Spirek, Jr
            Sylvia Naylor Scout

            Dear Ms. Towers,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that includes 27 file units of the 187th Regimental Combat Team for the 1950-1959 time period. We also located a series titled Command Reports, 1949 - 1954 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that includes command reports for the 1950-1959 time period of the 187th Regimental Combat Team. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            Further, we suggest that you request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 and for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1958are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. NPRC is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. If this is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

            1 person found this helpful