1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 9, 2020 4:02 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking records of Army Surgeon Robert Gale

Charles Franson Newbie

I am looking for information on an Army Contract Surgeon named Robert Gale. I find him in the Post Returns from Ft. McKavett, TX; Ft. Richardson, TX; and Ft. Concho, TX from about 1867-1876. I would like to know any information such as age, med school, prior service, home of record, etc.

• Re: Seeking records of Army Surgeon Robert Gale
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Franson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 38 record series relating to Army contract surgeons during the 1860s and 1870s, each with varying degrees of information about the surgeons. Please note that some of these record series are specific to the Civil War and may not include post-war surgeons. For more information about these records, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at Archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!