1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 8, 2020 4:17 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military records of John Leslie Francis


      Can I get a copy of military records for John Leslie Francis from WWII, Korea, Vietnam?

        • Re: Seeking military records of John Leslie Francis
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Green,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          To seek the records of John Leslie Francis, please begin by requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who separate from the U.S. Armed Forces after 1958 and prior to 1999 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!