2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2020 11:33 AM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking military records of Charles Ballet


      I never met my grandfather who was in WWI. His name is Charles Christopher Ballet with Service number1528298. I hope you can help. I would like picture of possible. Thank you

        • Re: Seeking military records of Charles Ballet
          Alice Lane Pioneer

          Hi Kathy,

          Welcome to History Hub


          Found this on the free genalogy website familysearch.org.you just have to join to search.

          the service number is different than the one you posted..........see below

          Have you tried fold3.com for his military records. It is a pay site but they do give a 7 day free trial.

          Alice Lane

          Volunteer Researcher



          • Re: Seeking military records of Charles Ballet
            Thomas Richardson Tracker

            Dear Ms. Bellet-Waldo,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

            1 person found this helpful