3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2020 6:59 PM by Marvin Rainwater

    Seeking information about my deceased brother


      I am seeking information regarding my deceased brother, while he served in Vietnam as a psychological Warfare 1968-1969. I think his unit was the 8th PsyOp Group in USARPAC. Also would like locations and campaigns. Thanks

        • Re: Seeking information about my deceased brother
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Rainwater,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1957 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. As next of kin of the deceased veteran, you may request the full file if you provide proof of the death of the veteran such as a copy of death certificate, letter from funeral home, casualty notice, or published obituary. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          If he died while in service, there may be an Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF) for him. IDPFs from 1940-1976 for personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z,  please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. There are no IDPFs for those who passed away after seperating from the service.


          In regards to his unit, the 8th Psychological Operations Group was only formed within the last decade. You may be thinking of the 8th Psychological Operations Battalion that served in Vietnam. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Psychological Operations Unit Records, ca. 1965 - ca. 1971 in the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472) that includes records of the PsyOp units that served in Vietnam such as the 8th Psychological Operations Battalion.  We also located Operational Reports - Lessons Learned (ORLL), 1965 - 1972 in (Record Group 472), which includes 6 files pertaining to the unit.  Please note that unit records rarely have detailed information about individuals, though they can be useful for gaining insights into the activities of the unit as a whole. For more information about these records, please email the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and RDT2. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: Seeking information about my deceased brother
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            Here is some information on the unit and some history. Please copy and paste this link into your web browser.









            Hope this helps,


            Elliot Schneider

            2 people found this helpful
              • Re: Seeking information about my deceased brother

                Eric ,thank you !!! Learning how to crack the research codes to find more information regarding my brother's service in Vietnam.   He told me one night while drinking, that he was in an orphanage passing out goods,  got intel that the VC were on the way.  He said he set an ambush but things went very wrong, lots of kids were killed.

                Any tips about where to look to see if this information is published?                                                                                 LT. DENNIS RAINWATER, 8th Psychological Operations,                                                                                    Vietnam 1968-1969