4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2020 5:01 PM by Andrew Key

Seeking records of Samuel Love in the US

Andrew Key Newbie

When we cleared my late dad's house we found some letters dated 24 August 1918 regarding the late Samuel Love. They were sent to my grandad and others who are described as heirs and next of kin and relating to the last will and testament of Samuel, on behalf of his wife Mary Love.  We have done work on our family tree on my dad's side of the family and there is no evidence of Samuel Love in the UK.  We can find him on the US census in the late 1800s. My sister has spent many days checking shipping lists but has found no record of him. The letters indicate that he died in Beekman, Dutchess County, New York.  We would like to find out if there is any way we can trace when he arrived in the US. Also if there was any indication of where he was from in the UK?

• Re: Seeking records of Samuel Love in the US
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hello Andrew,

Welcome to History Hub

I found Samuel and Mary Love on findagrave.com

This is Mary   https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/39068438/mary-e-love with obituary notice

This is Samuel   https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/39068398/samuel-love

If you click on other family members that are on findagrave.com you will see other obituaries and many more family members.

In the 1910 Census is states that Samuel is from England and he immigrated in 1876 and the PA means that he filed

naturalization papers. There daughter

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M575-1DM

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

• Re: Seeking records of Samuel Love in the US
            Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Mr. Key,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

As per the previous poster, the 1910 Census showed that Samuel Love of Beekman, Dutchess County, New York was naturalized.  Therefore, his naturalization records may provide direct information about his birth location and immigration date.

Prior to September 27, 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or Federal) could grant United States citizenship. Often petitioners went to the court most geographically convenient for them. As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in state or local courts. However, a few indexes and records have been donated to the National Archives from counties, states, and local courts. We suggest that you contact the National Archives at New York (RE-NY) via email at newyork.archives@nara.gov to determine if records from lower courts are available.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-NY. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

New York, State and Federal Naturalization Records, 1794-1943 are available and searchable from Ancestry.com.  There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!