3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2020 9:36 PM by John Boland

Seeking records of Robert Baskett

John Boland Newbie

I am doing research for a small local town museum concerning one of their native son's that was killed in action in Normandy.  I am due to present a zoom talk on 24 September.  I have sent off for his DD214, Morning Reports, and other unit history material.  With the Covid19 i have received emails stating that it could be many, many months until i receive anything. I have the following information: SGT Robert Calvin Baskett, Army Service Number 19193437, Served in E Company, 2nd Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division; He was born on 7 Apr 1925; enlistment on 23 Mar 1943; and died on 15 July 1944. Based upon the VII Corps situation report I have found, the 8th was in action north east of Raid, France on the day of his death. He was buried at Blosville cemetery on 31 August 1944.  It feels as though I have reached the end of the digital trail and would be most grateful for any assistance and pointers you could throw my way.

• Re: Seeking records of Robert Baskett
          joan stachnik Scout

John, if it will be of any help, there is a copy of Sgt Baskett's burial case file (IDPF) on a website for the 7th Armored Division (at https://www.7tharmddiv.org/docrep/images/US-Non-7AD/4th%20Inf%20Div/IDPFs/Baskett%20Robert%20C-19193437-4ID-8IR-IDPF.pdf). The file mostly contains correspondence regarding return for burial in the United States. Since Sgt. Baskett was killed in action, I do not believe separation papers (DD214) would be available. I hope this is of some help in your research. joan

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records of Robert Baskett
            Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Mr. Boland,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We have searched the National Archives Catalog and located the After Action Reports, 7/1944 - 9/1944 in the Records of Headquarters, European Theater of Operations, United States Army (World War II) (Record Group 498) that includes copies of reports covering VII Corps operations in Normandy, France, Belgium and Germany. For access to this series, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

The principal World War II Army casualty list, World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing (Washington: War Department, 1946) is arranged alphabetically by state and thereunder by county.  Each state booklet includes a foreword describing how the list was compiled, a statistical tabulation by counties and by types of casualties.  Each entry includes decedent's name, serial number, rank, and type of casualty.  The towns within the counties and the dates and places where the casualties occurred are not mentioned.  World War II Army casualty lists are available online through the National Archives Website at https://www.archives.gov/research/military/ww2/army-casualties/

We also located the 8th Infantry Regiment Lineage and Honors and the 4th Infantry Division section of the World War II Order of Battle by the U.S. Center of Military History. These may provide the chronology and movements of the military units that Robert Baskett served with in northern France.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful