1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 1, 2020 12:37 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking replacement Honorable Discharge Certificates


      How do I request replacement Honorable Discharge Certificates?

        • Re: Seeking replacement Honorable Discharge Certificates
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Mr. Smith,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          An Honorable Discharge Certificate (DD-256) is only replaced when the original certificate was lost, damaged, or never received from the service branch. You may request a replacement certificate by completing a GSA Standard Form 180 and mailing it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. When filling out the Standard Form 180, please indicate in Section II under ‘Other’ that you are requesting a copy of your honorable discharge certificate and cite the reason for replacement.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful.