1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 8, 2020 8:07 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking medical reports for returning POWs

    Richard Olson Newbie

      Many American airmen who were prisoners of the Germans in WWII underwent medical examinations when they got home.  Where are these examinations kept?  My father came home in May of 1945 and I know he reported to Miami Beach, Florida sometime after he got back home to fill out individual casualty questionnaires on his crew members and I presume to be examined by medical personnel.  My father was 2nd. Lt. Richard Olson, O-700620 and he was at Stalag Luft III, Stalag Luft XIIi-D and Stalag Luft VII-A. Is there a way to find a repatriation medical examination for him?

        • Re: Seeking medical reports for returning POWs
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Olson,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army (to include the Army Air Corps) who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Repatriated American Prisoners of War File in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15). These records contain data on repatriated prisoners of war (POWs) from World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War and the USS Pueblo incident. The records include the name of POW, service number, claim number, Social Security number, length of service, branch of service, degree of disability and diagnostic codes, date of capture, period of captivity, and name of POW camp. For information about accessing these records, please email National Archives at College Park - Electronic Records (RDE) at cer@nara.gov.


          We also searched the World War II Prisoners of War Data File, 12/7/1941 - 11/19/1946 available on Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located an entry for 2nd. Lt. Richard Olson. This does not include medical information but may be of interest.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDE. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!