1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 2, 2020 8:12 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military records of Arthur Mays


      My husband, Arthur Mays, passed away in March 1998 and was from Tennessee. He served during Korean War in Greenland working on building the Tule Air Base. I don’t think I have any records with his Social Security number any longer.  Just his birth certificate. I have a photo with a company name at my stepdaughter's. Will that help me locate his records?

        • Re: Seeking military records of Arthur Mays
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Mays,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Air Force who were separated from the service after 1946 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can sometimes be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may leave the space blank or provide estimates (such as writing “Korean War” for his dates of service), however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Please do NOT attach original family documents to your request as NPRC will be unable to return them to you.  You may attach photocopies if you desire. Because the SF-180 already asks for his date of birth, the birth certificate is unlikely to add any new information necessary to locate his records. The name of the base and the unit he was assigned to may be useful if his OMPF was destroyed by the fire and it is necessary to search his unit records for information about him. We suggest that you attach a memo with this information and any other information about his service that you have which is not already included on the SF-180.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this information is helpful.