5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2020 12:41 AM by Bertha Jones

Seeking proxy marriage records of grandmother

Bertha Jones Newbie

Hello...my grandmother was married by proxy circa 1925-1926, I think is was through the American Embassy in Cuba. Her husband was an American citizen and she was fleeing Syria after World War I. Where would those records be stored?

• Re: Seeking proxy marriage records of grandmother
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Bertha,

Welcome to History Hub

Have you checked any ancestor sites for a marriage certificate.

I would try these first

familysearch.org is a free site you just need to register to search.

ancestry.com is a pay site, they give a free trial period.

Alice Lane

Volunteer Researcher

Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Jones,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled the Decimal Files, 1910 - 1949 in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59) that may include the marriage records you seek under decimal 133. The marriage records segment (133) has been digitized but not available yet online using the Catalog. The digitized images are  name-searchable and available online at Ancestry.com.  There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, you may wish to contact your local library. Many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for patrons. 

We also located a series titled Certificates of Witness to Marriage, 1925 - 1987 in the General Records of the Department of State, 1763 - 2002 (Record Group 59) that contains 154 boxes of records alphabetized by last name.  For access to these non-digitized records, please contact

the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Bertha Jones Newbie

Thank you very much! I noticed that marriage records are available, even the proxy marriages, for 1910, but none from 1925/6 that I could find on Ancestry.   Also, I believe users need to upgrade to the international version of Ancestry in order to access some of those records. Great suggestion going through the library.  Our Central Library has a floor dedicated to Genealogy.