4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2020 1:34 PM by DJ Day

Seeking military records for George Day

DJ Day Newbie

I am seeking military records for my father, George Harvey Day, who received the Philippine Defense Medal (as well as the miniature and the ribbon). I’d like to replace them but first I'd like to know if there are any other awards he qualified for along with that medal. The Philippine Liberation Medal has 2 award stars. I’d also like to find out more about which specific engagements he participated in. Where might I get that information? On 6 March  1949, he was appointed Second Lieutenant in Military Intelligence and commissioned on 7 Apr 1949. He served with the 7th Infantry Division and the 7th ID participated in the following:

CAMPAIGNS:

Aleutian Islands:                                                01 May 43 - 24 Aug 43 - Attu Island, Kiska Island

Eastern Mandates (Marshall Islands)                31 Jan 44 - 18 Feb 44   - Kwajalein Island, Engebi Island

Philippines                                                        20 Oct 44 – early Feb 45 - Leyte Island                                         

Ryukyus Islands:                                               01 Apr 45 - 22 Jun 45   Okinawa

OCCUPATIONS

Korea:                                    08 Sep 45 - Jun 48               26 Aug 1946 – 15 Nov 1946    Counter Intelligence Corp course of Instruction

Japan:                                    25 Jun 48 - Jun 50              

KOREAN WAR                     18 Sep 50 - Jul 53

• Re: Seeking military records for George Day
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

DJ,

Is this your relative? If not do you have any other information pertain to your father.

Thanks,

Elliot

DJ Day Newbie

Thanks Elliot!

I should have realized there would probably be more than one George H. Day. Funny though, the signature looks a lot like my Dad's.

My Dad was born March 11, 1922 in Arbuckle, CA.   His Father was (I think) William Thomas Day, and was born in Bulls Gap, TN.  He moved to California and married my Grandmother and he passed when my Dad was 14 years old. I only saw my Grandmother a few times, she was "Grandma Day". I can do some research but I think her name might have been Mamie (not sure at all), I know she was born in California.

I appreciate your help!!!!

Dodie

Joshua Schroeder Wayfarer

Dear D.J. Day,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

For Army personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.  For requesting medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/ or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the 7th infantry Division during WWII. We also located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943-1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that includes 451 file units pertaining to the 7th Infantry Division in the 1940s and 1950s. In addition, we located a series titled Command Reports, 1949-1953 in Record Group 407 that contains 707 file units pertaining to the 7th Infantry Division during the Korean War. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RTD2) by email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RTD2. Also, NPRC is is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!