1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 1, 2020 9:57 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking Foreign Service records for grandfather

    Richard Austin Newbie

      I have an Identity and Registration card dated in 1952 for my grandfather.  It has a foreign service number on it.  I am looking for suggestions on how to expand this into what his foreign service record may have been.

        • Re: Seeking Foreign Service records for grandfather
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Austin,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity since 1952 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center. Written requests may be mailed to National Personnel Records Center Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL 62295. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, and the beginning and ending dates of Federal service. If you do not have all this information, you may omit some of it or provide approximations, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for staff to locate the correct person. Certain information in the OPF may not be available to the general public without the written consent of the individual or proof of death. For more information, please check their web site at Official Personnel Folders (OPF),Federal (non-archival) Holdings and Access.


          Please be advised that NARA has closed the Civilian Personnel Records Center (CPR) in Valmeyer, IL, effective immediately and until further notice. The local jurisdiction where CPR is located (Monroe County, IL) reported public health metrics that exceeded NARA’s targets for safe operation of our facilities. CPR will remain closed until local public health conditions improve. During the closure, CPR will maintain minimal staffing levels to support emergency reference requests only.


          He may be listed in the Biographic Register of the Department of State. This was published annually from 1860 to 1974, and provided biographic information about personnel of the Department of State and Foreign Service. Many of the editions are available digitally on HathiTrust.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!