2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2020 8:50 AM by Lisa Isbell

    Seeking Peter Gavin’s WWI military record


      I am looking for Army Pfc Peter Gavin’s military service during WWI. He was born in Noxubee, Mississippi on 1 July 1894. Were the names of his parents & one child listed when he enlisted? I am also looking for a photo of him in 1918.


        • Re: Seeking Peter Gavin’s WWI military record
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information hoping you can identify with including WW 1 draft register. He looks like he registered and entered service shortly before the end of the war. It is possible that he never was overseas according to his Index card.





          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          3 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Peter Gavin’s WWI military record

            Dear Ms. Collier,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be a permanent federal record by the respective military service and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File. However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020. As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!