2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2020 11:04 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military record of William Conner

    Susan Conner Newbie

      What PA unit did William Conner serve in during the Civil War? Are there any muster rolls?

        • Re: Seeking military record of William Conner
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Hello Susan,


          do you happen to have any additional information on your ancestor, such as DOB, place of birth and Death date.






          • Re: Seeking military record of William Conner
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Ms. Conner,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled Indexes to the Carded Records of Soldiers Who Served in Volunteer Organizations During the Civil War in Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that includes 22 index cards for persons named William Conner serving in Pennsylvania volunteer units. In some cases, multiple index cards for the same name may indicate that the same person served in more than one unit or because there was more than one person with the same name or a mixture of both.


            The index cards indicate that there should be corresponding service records in the series Carded Records Showing Military Service of Soldiers Who Fought in Volunteer Organizations During the American Civil War in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94). Most of the service records in this series have been made available via microfilm and through digitization of the microfilm. Unfortunately, the records for Pennsyvlania Volunteers have not been microfilmed or digitized. There may also be pension records for him, the majority of which have not been digitized.


            To order records that have not already been digitized, please fill out a NATF Form 86 for the service records and a NATF Form 85 for the pension records and mail the completed forms to the address listed on the form. You also may place your order online using eservices.archives.gov. For more information see Requesting Copies of Older (pre-WWI) Military Service Records. Questions about these records and the ordering process may be directed to the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at Archives1reference@nara.gov.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. Also, please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. NARA has also temporarily suspended the option for placing online orders using eservices.archives.gov. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We also searched the National Park Service Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System and located the same 22 results.


            We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!