3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2020 3:13 PM by Cara Jensen

Seeking records of Sisto Gogliano/Cogliano

Nicolly Gogliano Newbie

Hello, I would like information about my great grandfather Sisto Cogliano / Sisto Gogliano, I have his marriage certificate that was in Boston, MA on June 5, 1893. I would like information about his registration of naturalization, immigration, passenger list of ships, military records, passport requests, among other documents that you have in your files. Thank you for your attention!

• Re: Seeking records of Sisto Gogliano/Cogliano
          Susannah Brooks Scout

He arrived in the US at the port of Boston on the SS Daniel Steinmann 30 Apr 1882 along with two people with the same surname:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939K-YCJC-D?i=293&cc=1860873&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AKGK5-GYB

Did he change his given or surname at some point, since I am finding very few records under his or his wife's name?

Nicolly Gogliano Newbie

hello Susannah, thank you very much, his correct name is Sisto Cogliano but when he married in 1893 the clerk typed Sisto Gogliano and also stated that he married 23 years old but if he married in 1893 and was born in 1863  he married at the age of 30 and not 23 as written in his record, his wife called Guilhermina Rosa but when he married her there in the USA her name was registered as Wilhelmina Rosa Gogliano she was from Portugal.

thanks you very much,

best regards

Nicolly

Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Gogliano,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Since the previous poster located your great grandfather’s immigration records, we included information on how to obtain his naturalization records.  The process is different depending on the timeframe.

Prior to September 27, 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or Federal) could grant United States citizenship. Often petitioners went to the court most geographically convenient for them. As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in state or local courts. However, a few indexes and records have been donated to the National Archives from counties, states, and local courts. We suggest that you contact the National Archives facility serving the state in which the petitioner resided to determine if records from lower courts are available.

Beginning on September 27, 1906, the responsibility for naturalization proceedings was transferred to the Federal courts. If a naturalization took place in a Federal court, naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be in the custody of the National Archives facility serving the state in which the Federal court is located.

If his petition was filed in a Massachusetts Federal court, we suggest that you contact the National Archives at Boston (RE-BO) via email at boston.archives@nara.gov and request a search for his naturalization records by including the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.

In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

Certificates of citizenship were issued by the Federal courts until October 1991 when INS took over responsibility for naturalization proceedings. All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created since September 27, 1906 and may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!