2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2020 2:25 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking Navy casualty report for November 1990

Joe Loomer Newbie

Hi, I'm looking to find out what date a Sailor or Marine was injured in the Sigonella, Italy area.  I was on a C-130 that diverted to Sigonella to pick the Sailor up and get him to Rota Naval Hospital.  That flight would have been the 16th or 17th November 1990 so his injuries would have happened at some point earlier in November (1st-17th?)  I suspect it probably would have been the 15th or 16th.  I hope a unit filed an Oprep or other report summarizing the mishap, I believe it was a home heating or cooking fuel accident.

• Re: Seeking Navy casualty report for November 1990
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Joe,

Is this individual for yourself or another individual. Most case because of the age of this they will not release any information to you on another individual. However, if you served in the same unit or ship as the individual they maybe able to verify an incident for you if you. Is this a fact finding mission or are you trying to help someone apply for VA benefits?

Thanks,

Elliot

• Re: Seeking Navy casualty report for November 1990
            Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Loomer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine accident reports for this time period are in the custody of the Commander, Naval Safety Center, Code 055, 375A Street, Norfolk, VA 23511. To request these records, contact their FOIA staff via email at safe.foia@navy.mil. Please provide as much information as possible about the incident.

For Navy casualty records files from 1990 to the present, we suggest that you contact Maurice King,  Department of the Navy Records Manager, 1000 Navy Pentagon, 5E170, Washington, DC 22350. His mail is maurice.king@navy.mil.

We hope this is helpful.