1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 1, 2020 9:47 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking what WAC unit a woman served

    Alessandra Ciampi Wayfarer

      How can I find in which WWII WAC unit a woman served?

        • Re: Seeking what WAC unit a woman served
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Ciampi,


          Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!


          For information about the Women’s Army Corps (WAC) unit(s) she served in, we suggest that you request a copy of her Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!