1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 26, 2020 3:26 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking Civil Service attached to the Army


      My dad trained radio operators during WWII as "Civil Service Attached to the Army".   Are there records I can access?

        • Re: Seeking Civil Service attached to the Army
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Schwake,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. If there is any information you do not know, you may omit it, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NARA staff to locate the correct file. For more information, the web site is https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/civilian-personnel.


          OPFs are serviced by the Civilian Personnel Records Center (CPR) for RL-SL.  NARA has closed the Civilian Personnel Records Center (CPR) in Valmeyer, IL, effective immediately and until further notice. The local jurisdiction where CPR is located (Monroe County, IL) reported public health metrics that exceeded NARA’s targets for safe operation of our facilities. CPR will remain closed until local public health conditions improve. During the closure, CPR will maintain minimal staffing levels to support emergency reference requests only.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!