1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2020 8:59 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking uncle who was released from Federal penitentiary

    Barbara Steben Newbie

      I am looking for my uncle who was in a Federal penitentiary and released in 2002  He would be 84 years old now.  How can I find out where he went after being released?

        • Re: Seeking uncle who was released from Federal penitentiary
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Steben,


          Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!


          The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) does not provide services to locate living individuals.  The records in the custody of NARA were typically transferred from other Federal agencies at least 20-30 years after they were created and used.  Therefore, NARA records are not usually helpful in providing current information about individuals.


          Any information about an inmate released in 2002 would still be in the custody of the Federal Bureau of Prisons. The Federal Bureau of Prisons has an inmate locator that may include an entry for him. To obtain information beyond what is provided in the inmate locator, please submit a FOIA request to the Federal Bureau of Prisons. For further guidance, please refer to the BOP's FOIA website.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!