1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2020 5:45 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking military records of Charles Bellet


      I am looking for information on my grandfather, Charles Christopher Bellet, who was born on  9-8-1897 and died on 2-22-1961. He served during WWI. POC. Bellet, with Service Number 1538298, departed from Newport News, VA on June 22,1918 aboard the SS Duc Daosta, an Italian liner requesting for transport service. I never had the chance to meet my grandfather and I am looking for information or even a picture of possible. Thanks for any help you can give me or let me know where I might get the information.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Charles Bellet
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Ms. Bellet-Waldo,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Lists of Outgoing Passengers, 1917 - 1938 in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that includes Pvt. Charles C Bellet (Line 98) [see image below]. It also indicates that he served with the 112th Engineers, 37th Division. We also located a series titled Records of Divisions, 1917 - 1920 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that includes the 37th Division and possibly, the 112th Engineers. In addition, we located the series Records of Engineer Regiments and Battalions, 1912 - 1921 in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) that may include the 112th Engineers. For access to  these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Plus, we located the series titled Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 in the Records of the Selective Service System (World War I) (Record Group 163) that may include a card for your relative. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT) via email at atlanta.archives@nara.gov.


          Lastly, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RE-AT. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful