1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 21, 2020 2:32 PM by Rebecca Collier

How many pages are in a file unit?

Dan Nelson Newbie

Is there a way to find out how many pages are in a File Unit? Or do I submit a request and wait until the copies or digitized files come back with the bill? I have upwards of 50 file units that pertain to my subject, and since I can't go and get the specific pages that would apply, I may just have to order the whole unit. This is just for future reference. I know that reproduction and digitization services are currently suspended, but I have a feeling that those services might resume before the research rooms reopen.

• Re: How many pages are in a file unit?
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Nelson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Depending on the type of record, a file unit may consist of one page to approximately 3,000 pages if it is double-sided. For costs of copies, please see the NARA Reproduction Fees. For most 20th Century textual records, the fee is based on a page count. Reproduction orders will reflect the complete contents of the file. Depending on the size of the file, the price quoted on a NATF Form 72 may be an estimate only. Researchers are not obligated to purchase all of the file units/items listed on the quote. You may cross out the file units/items you do not want. The actual cost (page count) will be determined at the time of copying. If your remittance is not sufficient to cover the cost of copying, NARA will request additional funds before releasing the reproductions.  If your remittance is in excess of the amount required, you will be refunded the balance.

As you know, the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful