4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2020 10:42 AM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking my grandmother's German documents


      Hi, My grandmother, Marianne (Wurm) Pruitt was born in 1925 in the Czech Republic to Wenzel Wurm and Katharina Adolf. She then had to go to Germany during WWII and had a German passport since her mother was German. I can not find any records of her applying for a passport or any sort of confirmation of citizenship in whether Germany or the Czech Republic. Would someone be able to help me find this? Thank you!!

        • Re: Seeking my grandmother's German documents
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

          German passports (Reisepass) where issued by the town of which a person was a citizen.  In 1950 Germany started issuing national passports, but they were and are processed at the town level.


          To this day German's are citizens first of the town where they were born and vital records are kept at the town level.  If she and or her parents were considered repatriated Germans during the 1930's through WWII, there may be records of their obtaining German citizenship among the captured German records at the National Archives in College Park MD.  Depending on the occupations that her parents had in Germany they may have been required to join the Nazi party and those records are also NARA College Park, MD.  You would have to look both for records from the town where she was born and the town where she lived in Germany.

          • Re: Seeking my grandmother's German documents
            Sabine Gorgas Adventurer

            Hi Isabella,


            In accordance to your grandmothers Petition for Naturalization available for example on ancestry she was a citizen of Germany and she arrived in 1958. It is now necessary to know where she lived in Germany. Unfortunately it is not that easy to find otherwise an application for a passport. If these types of records still exist, they might be in the state archive of the state your grandmother lived, but today for example passport records are kept just for the time the issued passport will expire. So I would contact the state archive of the state where your grandmother lived and would ask whether these records or better which records are still available.



            • Re: Seeking my grandmother's German documents
              Alice Lane Pioneer

              Hi Isabella,

              Welcome to History Hub.


              I found a New York passenger list including Wenzel Wurm age 26 in 1927-last known address Buffalo New York it shows him as single.


              Did Marianne Pruitt have a son named Jack

              This is the record of an airplane flight in 1956 with Marianne and a 2 1/2 year old son named Jack


              Alice Lane

              Research Volunteer

              • Re: Seeking my grandmother's German documents
                Cara Jensen Tracker

                Dear Ms. Turolla,


                Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


                Along with the previous posters, we suggest that you request your grandmother’s naturalization records that may include information about her specific location in Germany, which you then may use to request her passport and citizenship information from the local German authorities.


                Certificates of citizenship were issued by the Federal courts until October 1991 when INS took over responsibility for naturalization proceedings. All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created since September 27, 1906. Beginning April 1, 1956, INS began filing all naturalization records in a subject’s Alien File (A-File), which can be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program


                In addition, the FamilySearch research wiki for German Genealogy may be useful. 


                We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!