3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2020 12:28 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking clarification of John Jackson's pension form

Darrick Jackson Newbie

I'm would like some clarification on this pension form. From the form, it looks like his wife applied for benefits in 1895, however I know that he was alive in 1900. Could she have applied before he died for some reason? I'm 98% sure this is my ancestor as I can't believe there were two John H Jackson's from Battle Creek, MI who married a woman named Ella. But the date discrepancy is bothering me. Any help understanding this form would be helpful.

Civil War pension form for John H Jackson

• Re: Seeking clarification of John Jackson's pension form
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Darrick,

It is never impossible I've seen lots of things on forms. Let me ask you when looking at his service Co. B 102nd Colored Infantry. I have also come across his musters rolls that are consistent with this pension card.

Also found 1900 Census here is what is listed on the 1900 census for family. However here is a link to a website shows his death at 1895. Check out headstone

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/15326690/john-henry-jackson

Household

Role

Sex

Birthplace

John H Jackson

Head

Male

Michigan

Ella Jackson

Wife

Female

Michigan

Robert Jackson

Son

Male

Michigan

Arther Jackson

Son

Male

Michigan

Martha Sena

Boarder

Female

Indiana

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking clarification of John Jackson's pension form
            Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Jackson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The document you located is an index to a pension file. The full pension file may provide further information that explains the discrepancy. Based on the dates, the full pension file for him that corresponds to the index card could be at either National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) or the National Archives in St. Louis (RL-SL). To request a search for the file, please email both RDT1 at Archives1reference@nara.gov and RL-SL at stl.archives@nara.gov. Please attach copies of the index card to your emails. If RDT1 or RL-SL locate a copy of the file, they will provide information on how to purchase a copy.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RL-SL. Also, NARA has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!