1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 28, 2020 11:47 AM by Joshua Schroeder

    Seeking military records of Ronald W Shaw


      Ronald W Shaw served in Company C, 299 Engineer Battalion during 1967-1968 in Vietnam. Ronald spent time in Pleiku hospital.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Ronald W Shaw
          Joshua Schroeder Wayfarer

          Dear Mr. Shaw,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          We searched the National Archives Catalog for and located the series Engineer Unit Records, ca. 1965-ca. 1973 in the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472)

          that includes records about the 299th Engineer Battalion in Vietnam from 1967-1968 in boxes 812, 820-822, 829-830, 835, and 840. Unfortunately, these records are not available online. For information on researching these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RTD2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RTD2. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!