2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2020 11:42 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking marriage records for War Bride 1948


      Hello, My grandfather was stationed in Germany during 1948, and married a German national in a church there. I need a certified copy of a marriage certificate for a dual citizenship request, but have no idea whether to look in the US or Germany records. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

        • Re: Seeking marriage records for War Bride 1948
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

          German vital records are kept at the town level, so if you know the name of the town where they married you should contact the Standesamt of the town.  In Germany you first must marry in a civil ceremony and then you can marry in a church, if you want.  The church should also have a record of the marriage.  Your grandfather also may have registered the marriage with the closest US consulate.  US Consulate records are at the National Archives and Records Administration building in College Park, Maryland.

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking marriage records for War Bride 1948
            Rachael Salyer Pioneer

            Dear Mr. Truitt,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). It may include information about his marriage. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 and for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            Also, it is possible that your grandfather filed a Certificate of Witness to Marriage Abroad with the Department of State. You may request a copy of such certificates directly from them. Regardless, marriages in Germany require the officiant to register the marriage at the local state registry office. Please contact the Germany Service for a marriage certificate from all of the state registry offices.


            Finally, depending on the religious affiliation of the service member and the chaplain, the associated religious organization may have some relevant records. For example, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese for the Military Services maintains records of Roman Catholic sacraments--including marriages--performed by Roman Catholic chaplains. Other denominations might have similar records.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

            1 person found this helpful