2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2020 4:42 PM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking US Army Medical Records

    Andre Sucharew Newbie

      I am seeking US Army Medical Records from the University of Marburg during 1945 to 1946.

        • Re: Seeking US Army Medical Records
          Lee Pierce Newbie

          Hi, Andre,


          I guess I'm a little confused.  Are you seeking treatment records for an individual service member?  Or, are you seeking the administrative records of a US Army hospital for the period in question?  In short, it's not clear to me, based on your question, just what sort of records we're talking about. 


          Very broadly, however, the records of the United States Army (and the service members therein) for this period will be held by the National Archives and Records Administration.  For records of individual service members, you'll want to start here:



          For records of an Army unit or administrative department, you'll want to start, perhaps, here:



          Please keep in mind that the records of service members are, for the most part, restricted, and only parts of the records may be disclosed, depending upon several factors influencing who can access the files. 


          Good Luck!



          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking US Army Medical Records
            Rachael Salyer Pioneer

            Dear Mr. Sucharew,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            According to a unit history we located online, the 280th Station Hospital and the 41st Evacuation Hospital were stationed in Marburg in 1945-1946. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Unit Annual Reports, 1940-1949 in the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112) that includes a file for the 41st Evacuation Hospital. We also located the series Records of Historical Unit Medical Detachments (HUMEDS), 1940-1955 in Record Group 112 that includes a unit history of the 280th Station Hospital for January 1944 - January 1945 & Photographs (Box 133) as well as G-3 Periodic Reports for  December 1943 - August 1944; Activities Reports for June 1941 - June 1943; and Historical Data, 1944-1945 of the  41st Evacuation Hospital (Box 82). In addition, we located the series Historical Files, 1945-1946 in the Records of Headquarters, European Theater of Operations, United States Army (World War II) (Record Group 498) that includes files for the 280th Station Hospital and the 41st Evacuation Hospital, 1945. Next, we located the series World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that may contain records about the 280th and the 41st. Please note that these records are about the hospitals and do not contain information about individual soldiers or patients. These records have not been digitized. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            Morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. The morning reports for hospitals would include information about the staff only. A patient’s unit morning reports may include information about where the soldier was located and if he was available for duty.


            Lastly, if you are looking for information about an individual soldier, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 and for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. Additionally, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


            1 person found this helpful