2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2020 1:30 PM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking uncle's Army Air Corps Records


      My uncle enlisted 1/21/1943 in the Army, I have his Army serial number.  He served as a navigator/bombardier in the Army Air Corps.  So, would he have records in the Army archives or the Air Force archives?  Thanks!

        • Re: Seeking uncle's Army Air Corps Records
          Joshua Schroeder Wayfarer

          Dear Mr. Lakavage,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army Air Corps who served during WWII are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: Seeking uncle's Army Air Corps Records
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            He would have records at the NPRC in  St. Louis, and any unit histories and or General Orders would be at the AF archives depending on the type of records your seeking. However, you will have to wait for pandemic to be over before they start processing normal requests for records.



            Elliot Schneider