2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2020 10:17 AM by Charles Wade

Seeking training crash information for September 26, 1951

Joan   L Parnell Newbie

I am trying to find info on my uncle, 2nd Lt Lewis M Arford, born Mar 7, 1929, and died September 26, 1951 at the age of 22. He was in the Air Force in Colorado with the 197th AF Training Squadron. He was the pilot and had a fatal crash. He was in the Marines during WWII. After the War, he resigned his Marine commission, and signed up with the AF for Pilot training. His Memorial ID 166294471 is at Holy Sepulcher Cemetery, Orange, Orange County, California, plot Lawn F (St Francis). I can find no listing of this training crash. He was living in California, probably Anaheim. He was married to Jackie Arford. Death occurred in Tucson,  Arizona. I would like to know what Base he was stationed at, what plane he was flying, and built for single pilot, etc. and the circumstances of the incident. Thank You.

Message was edited by: Joan  L Parnell  I found documentation death occurred in Tucson, Az. 8.18.20

• Re: Seeking training crash information for September 26, 1951
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Parnell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The information you seek may be in his U.S. Air Force Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs from 1940-1973 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov for access to these records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Or it may be in an accident report. Air Force accident reports up to 1955 are in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL  36112-6424.  The web site is https://www.afhra.af.mil/.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking training crash information for September 26, 1951
            Charles Wade Newbie

Here is some info that gives type of aircraft and accident location. This info comes from accident-report.com.
            Excerpt from Accident-Report.com

1 person found this helpful