1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 20, 2020 10:26 AM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking records about Ensign Briggs Robertson

    Roscoe Champion Newbie

      I am seeking information on Ensign Briggs Robertson who was lost at Kavieng off USS Monterey in 1944. I also am looking for the squadrons based on USS Monterey in 1944 during an attack on Kavieng, New Ireland, New Guinea.

        • Re: Seeking records about Ensign Briggs Robertson
          Thomas Richardson Tracker

          Dear Mr. Champion,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series World War II Casualty Reports, 1939 - 1945 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that includes a file unit for Monterey (CVL-26). We also located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in Record Group 24 that include the deck logs of the USS Monterey for 17 June 1943 through 11 February 1947. The logs for July through October 1944 have been digitized and are available using the Catalog  For access to the non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. The deck logs may include a listing of the squadrons


          Individual Navy and Marine Corps casualty records from 1940-1989 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via letter or email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


          We also suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports of officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from service after 1902 and prior to 1958 are located at  NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research.