2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2020 11:02 AM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking information about John Ward

    Stephanie Wright Newbie

      Hello all, I am looking for more information regarding my Great Grandfather, John Ward. The only information passed on to me about him, was that he was an American soldier in WWII. After discovering they were married, I ordered a copy of their marriage certificate. He married my Great Grandmother (Jean Hoskins) in April 1942, in Weymouth, Dorset, England. At the time of marriage he is stated to be a paratrooper, and his residential address was in Weymouth (18 Sydney Street). Mr Ward was 23 at the time they married, and my Great Grandmother was 17 years of age. In January  1945 my grandmother (Yvonne M Ward) was born, followed a year later by her brother Michael.. His father was also called John Ward but deceased at time of marriage. I also have a photograph of them both, on a beach. Mr Ward is dressed in military uniform with the Tec 4(Technician 4th Grade) insignia on his right arm. Unfortunately, I am told the pair eventually divorced. I know my Great-Grandmother went on to have more children during different marriages. Apart from locating my grandmother's birth certificate and hopefully gaining some more info about him on there I am at a loss as to what to do next. Without a birth date for Mr Ward, or any idea where he was born, I feel I may struggle to go further with requesting any military records etc. Thanks all for your time.




        • Re: Seeking information about John Ward
          Susannah Brooks Pioneer

          You might try to find the divorce case, which would at least let you know where he was living at the time of the divorce.  Since your great-grandmother remarried, that marriage record may indicate the court where the divorce took place.

          • Re: Seeking information about John Ward
            Cara Jensen Tracker

            Dear Ms. Wright,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            Since they were married in England, we suggest that you contact the Gov.UK to request a copy of the marriage certificate and the decree absolute of John Ward and Jean Hoskins Ward. 


            Once you have the birthdate of John Ward, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!