2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2020 3:32 PM by Jason Atkinson

Is there a way to find a photo of my father in his dress uniform?

Stephanie Lanfair Newbie

My father was wanting copies of his military photos. I have the original ones. I went through them today and sent pictures so he could tell me which ones he wanted. We found out that I do not have one of him in his dress uniform. He was disappointed. I'd love to see if I could find this for him and surprise him. He trained in Fort Jackson SC in A Co, 4BN,1BDE ,3 PLT July of 1980. How would I go about doing this? Is it even possible? Thank you for your time

Steph

• Re: Is there a way to find a photo of my father in his dress uniform?
          LOC Manuscript Division Tracker

Hello Stephanie,

You might try posting your question to the Military Records community on History Hub. You can also search the forum for similar posts. For example, the post Seeking grandfather's military photograph, is similar to your question. Best wishes,

Lewis

Lewis Wyman

Manuscript Division

Library of Congress

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Is there a way to find a photo of my father in his dress uniform?
            Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Lanfair,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Ms. Jensen’s reply to Ms. Wright that the Library of Congress shared with you also applies for records of soldiers that served in the 1980s. Even though records for soldiers that separated after 1958 are still in the legal custody of the US Army, they also are physically located at NPRC and are ordered in the same way, with the exception that certain information in the records is not available to the without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin (if the the veteran is deceased). 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful.