1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 20, 2020 10:30 AM by Thomas Richardson

Seeking records of Marine AWS-1

Michael Quinn Newbie

Hello, I am looking to research AWS-1 (Air Warning Squadron -1) which I believe started in Cherry Point NC. My goal is to follow where my dad went through out his time in the Pacific. Also what divisions and or unit my Dad was attached to. He was time was 1943-1945. I know they moved around often and ended up in many different places. He did talk of island hopping on their way to Okinawa. Thanks!!

• Re: Seeking records of Marine AWS-1
          Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Mr. Quinn,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

For a list of what Marine units your father served with, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests

We have also searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series World War II War Diaries, Other Operational Records and Histories, ca. 1/1/1942 - ca. 6/1/1946 in the Records of the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations (Record Group 38) that includes 8 digitized file units of the Marine AWS-1 from September 1944 though October 1945. These are available using the Catalog. We also located the series Subject Files Relating to World War II, 1947 - 1955 in the Records of the U.S. Marine Corps (Record Group 127) that includes the file unit Air Warning Program USMC. For access to the non-digitized file unit, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2.. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!