2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2020 11:13 PM by Herbert Wyatt

Seeking records of Battery C, 76th Coastal Artillery Corps (AA) (colored)

Herbert Wyatt Newbie

I am searching for WWII locations and records of Battery C, 76th Coastal Artillery Corps (AA) (colored) in Pacific Theater; especially Solomon Islands. I'm trying to put together a history of what my father (deceased) did in World War II (Enlistment - Training (speciality) - Assignments - Unit history in the Pacific Theater of Operations). Training, Assignments and Unit history are the hard to find/correlate matters.

I cannot find open literature or details on the training locations and war assignments in the Pacific Theater of "Battery C, 76th Coastal Artillery Corps Anti-Aircraft BN (Colored) units. I received my Dad's pay records from NARA and it contains movements between APOs: 708 Station 7337, 717, 708 and 320.

I cannot find an Army Directive, i.e. series 4526-M or equivalent DoD Postal Manual, that correlates the three numbered designator type APO's to their geographical location vice the current zip code type system used. Correlating the APO designators will help answer the assignments portion.

What help do i need:

a) A list of WW II APO's that correlate three numbered designators with locations in the Pacific Theater or equivalent information on the movements of the 76th Coastal Artillery Corps ...

b) Training locations where Coastal Anti-aircraft Artillery for colored troops probably took place.

c) Type Artillery used by 76th Coastal Artillery Corp (AA) BN and unit locations by Battery (or best guess) in the Pacific Theater. The 76th may have been assigned under an overarching Battalion or authority.

d) Unit: history, motto, awards, patches etc.

e) Any assistance you can provide via recommendations or references.

Thank you very much.

• Re: Seeking records of Battery C, 76th Coastal Artillery Corps (AA) (colored)
          Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Mr. Wyatt,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records of the 76th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Group, the 76th Anti-Aircraft Artillery (Gun) Battalion, and the 933rd Anti-Aircraft Artillery (AW) Battalion for WWII. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

In addition, you may wish to consult the unofficial source Coast Artillery Organizational History, 1917-1950 Part I, Coast Artillery Regiments 1-196, which contains a short history of the 76th Coast Artillery (AA)(Colored) Regiment: 

76th Coast Artillery (AA)(Colored) Regiment Constituted in OR 7-29-21 as 502nd Arty (AA), CAC, and organized in November 1921 at New York City. Redesignated 502nd CA (AA) Regt 6-30-24. Withdrawn from OR 10-1-33 and allotted to RA as inactive. On 8-1-40 redesignated 76th CA (AA) Regt (Cld) and 1st Bn activated at Ft. Bragg, NC; 2nd Bn activated 2-10-41 at Ft. Bragg. Moved to Philadelphia area 12-11-41 to establish AA positions. Transferred to Los Angeles area 5-26-42; established AA positions at Burbank until 7-30- 42. 3rd Bn activated 6-15-42 at Burbank. Regiment moved to Cp. Stoneman, CA, 7-30-42 to stage for overseas deployment. Departed San Francisco and arrived Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, 9-2-42. Manned AA defenses until inactivated 11-1-43. HHB redesignated HHB 76th AAA Gp; 1st Bn redesignated 76th AAA (Gun) Bn; 2nd Bn redesignated 933rd AAA (AW) Bn; 3rd Bn disbanded and personnel reassigned.

Lastly, we located a digitized copy of the Numerical Listing of APO’s, January 1942 to November 1947 prepared by the Army Postal Service that may have the APO numbers and locations you seek.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful