6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2020 5:57 AM by Adele Cammarata

Seeking job opportunities in Torrington, CT in 1917

Adele Cammarata Newbie

Dear all, I'm looking for some of my great uncles who went to the US from Villarosa, Sicily, Italy. In particular, one of them, Salvatore Cammarata, was a very talented man: he was born in 1890, arrived in New York in 1907 and there he worked as a mechanic in New York, probably from 1907 to 1916, working as a chauffeur and mechanic on his own. He then must have gone to Torrington, Connecticut, in 1916, maybe to start a new job and a new life from 1917. Unfortunately, he had to return back to Italy because of his health and there he died the next year: he was 27.

I would like to discover more about the "happy life" he was hoping for, as he printed in this beautiful picture of himself: "Salv Cammarata / on his way to records for / a happy life - Jan 1, 1917 / Torrington, Conn." Is it casual he pictured himself with a model aircraft? What kind of opportunities there might be in Torrington for a Southern Italian emigrant who was a very talented mechanic? Moreover, I have looked for his records on the 1910 Census but could not find anything. How can it be? Thank you for your precious help!

Salv Cammarata / on his way to records for / a happy life -- Jan 1, 1917 - Torrington, Conn