2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2020 8:38 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking information about an explosion in Long An, Vietnam


      I am looking for information on an explosion on December 23, 1968 in Long An, Vietnam. My father was injured in the explosion and the Army never would give him any information about it other than the standard form letter. I was hoping to find someone with answers.  He died a few years ago and has numerous medals that were lost in transit. Does anyone know of anyone who can help?

        • Re: Seeking information about an explosion in Long An, Vietnam
          Alice Lane Pioneer

          Hi Mr. Ferguson,

          Welcome to History Hub


          Perhaps someone from the  website link below can help you



          Best Wishes,

          Alice Lane

          Volunteer Researcher

          • Re: Seeking information about an explosion in Long An, Vietnam
            Thomas Richardson Navigator

            Dear Mr. Ferguson,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The U.S. Army Combat Readiness Center (USACRC) is the repository and release authority for Army safety accident reports prepared in accordance with Department of the Army Pamphlet 385-40, Army Accident Investigation and Reporting, and Army Regulation 385-10, the Army Safety Program. The USACRC Commander has been delegated authority to act as the Initial Denial Authority (IDA) on requests for information from Army safety accident reports. Records will be made available consistent with applicable laws and regulations. FOIA requests to the U.S. Army Combat Readiness Center (USACRC) may be submitted in writing, by fax, e-mail or electronic form by contacting the USACRC FOIA office in the U.S. Army Combat Readiness Center, ATTN: CSSC-SS (FOIA), 4905 Ruf Avenue, Fort Rucker, AL 36362-5363. The email address is  usarmy.rucker.hqda-secarmy.mbx.safe-foia@mail.milPlease clearly mark the mailing envelope, fax, or email “Freedom of Information Act Request.”


            Reports and related papers concerning collateral damage investigations (AR 15-6) are retained for five years and then destroyed by the Army in accordance with regulatory guidance.


            If you’re looking for his service record and replacement awards, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


            For Army personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals. You may use the same GSA Standard Form 180 or eVetRecs submission requesting his OMPF for also requesting medals and awards. Please provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other” such as unit and time-in-service.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!