7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2020 4:44 PM by Crystal Davis

    Seeking military records of Robert Lee Cunningham


      My husband is trying to find out what state his father was born in and what his mother's name was so we can request his Father's birth certificate. My husband only met his father once and has no contact with him so we can not ask him those questions. His father was in the military so we thought his military records would have that information on the. We tried to find that information on archives.com, ancestry.com, peoplefinder.com, and other sites but we had no luck. We need a copy of his Father's birth certificate to prove that he is a US citizen but we don't have the information we need. Could you please help us?

        • Re: Seeking military records of Robert Lee Cunningham
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Can you be more specific? There are many believe it or not Robert Lee Cunningham from the eastern seaboard all the way to the Midwest. Could you give us a time period your husband thinks that his father may have served WW1 or WW2?





          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking military records of Robert Lee Cunningham
            Alice Lane Pioneer

            Hi Crystal,

            Welcome to History Hub,


            If this is your Robert Cunningham born on Sept 15, 1938 in Scotland then he became a US Citizen when his father (Robert and mother Grace) became citizens. Check out the the link below. It is from familysearch.org. It is a free website, all you need to do is join to see the Naturalization document, click on link below




            Alice Lane

            Volunteer Researcher

            • Re: Seeking military records of Robert Lee Cunningham
              Holly Rivet Tracker

              Dear Ms. Davis,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              Has your husband requested this information from his state of birth's Bureau of Vitals Records?  Place of birth of both parents is common information to collect, but does not always appear on the birth certificate.  If he was born abroad on a military installation, he may contact the U.S. Department of State to obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.  This link will take you to the relevant page.


              If his father has passed prior to 2007, he should appear on the National Archives Access to Archival Databases, Numerical Identification File (NUMIDENT), 1936 - 2007. Begin your search here by entering the name in the search bar.  You should get three results, you will have to search through all three.  It is helpful to organize these by year of birth so you don't spend time going through men born in the 1800s.


              To seek his military service information, please begin by requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces after 1958 and prior to 1999 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Since he has a common name, we really would need date of birth, his social security number, or service number.  See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


              Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities.


              We hope this information is helpful. 



              Holly Rivet

              1 person found this helpful