1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 13, 2020 2:39 PM by Holly Rivet

    How do I get military records of my deceased grandpa?

    Tara Valentine Newbie

      My paternal grandfather died in 2011 and I know little to nothing of that side of my family. Can I obtain his military records? My dad was born in Hawaii in 1955 on a base. My dad passed away and there is no immediate next of kin to get them for me.

        • Re: How do I get military records of my deceased grandpa?
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Ms. Valentine,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service and prior to 1999 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          You may also check with your grandfather's local 'Recorder of Deeds' office for military records such as the separation document.  Some online resources include: Fold3, Ancestry, and Family Search.  All have records relating to service members or citizens who registered for the draft.  These sites may be offered for a fee or free through your local library.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities.


          We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!



          Holly Rivet

          1 person found this helpful