1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 14, 2020 8:36 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking Jump master records & other awards


      My father has cognitive issues now but fondly remembers his military life in the 1970s. Between health issues and moving around, we cannot find his records/awards of any kind. I know his information but he's not deceased so I cannot file for them. How do I go about getting at least that record so he can have it? Thank you

        • Re: Seeking Jump master records & other awards
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Ms. Phillips,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          For Air Force, Army, and Navy personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.  For requesting medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/ or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other." When requesting replacement awards, you will receive a copy of all the entitled awards that will be forwarded to the appropriate service department.


          If you are seeking other documentation such as jump records, you will need to request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces after 1958 and prior to 1999 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. You may request this information on the same GSA Standard Form 180 that you submit when requesting replacement medals and awards.


          As next of kin, you can request the veteran’s information and replacement awards, but certain information in the records is not available to you without the written consent of the veteran. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC was closed from March 23 through June 23, 2020.  As of June 24th, the NPRC entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process.  The center is currently only servicing emergency requests and will soon expand its service to include time-sensitive requests from veterans for records needed to secure VA home loan guarantees and employment opportunities.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research.