14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2020 11:13 AM by joan stachnik

Seeking records of HQ Battery 82nd Airborne Division Artillery

Roy Hardy Newbie

I am researching a soldier that served with the 82nd Airborne Divisional Artillery in WWII.  His discharge paper states that he participated in campaigns in Sicily, Italy, Normandy, Western Europe and Germany.  He was wounded in Holland on October 2, 1944 and returned to the US on January 4, 1945. I am trying to determine if he entered combat on a glider or parachute.  Do plane manifests still exist showing what cargo planes or gliders they may have been on?

• Re: Seeking records of HQ Battery 82nd Airborne Division Artillery
          joan stachnik Scout

Hi Roy, my dad was in an 82nd Airborne artillery division. There were 2 glider units for artillery (319th and 320th) which were in all the campaigns you listed, as well as North Africa. To the best of my knowledge, the 319th and 320th made 2 glider landings, Normandy and Holland. Otherwise they travelled via plane, rail, or truck. There were 2 parachute artillery units also (376th and 456th), but I believe these were only in Sicily.

And I've looked just about everywhere I could think of, but was never able to find a glider manifest. I've been told it was up to the pilot to keep these, or the individual battery. There are after action reports that list the tow plane and glider serials for Normandy and Holland, and the unit/battery each glider carried. Would you consider providing the name of the soldier you are researching? Do you know from the soldier's separation papers the specific battery he was in? joan

1 person found this helpful
              Roy Hardy Newbie

Thanks for your response

The soldier was Corporal Russell S. Beatty

His discharge papers indicate his unit was HQ Battery, 82nd Airborne Division Artillery

I have a letter written to him from Captain Tony J. Raibl, who identified himself as his former commanding officer of that unit

joan stachnik Scout

Roy, I found Cpl Russell Beatty (Div Arty) listed in the morning reports for the 24th Evacuation Hospital as admitted on 2 Oct 44 and then "evacuated to a communication zone" the next day, 3 Oct 44. There is no other information in the reports. From what I learned researching my dad's service (he was also in the 24th evac about the same time), soldiers were sent from the 24th to other hospitals for more treatment as needed. So he could have been sent anywhere. During these dates, the 24th evac was located 1 mi E Bourg-Leopold (also called Leopoldsburg), Belguim.

I also found a bit of information about Capt. Raibl:

Tony J. Raibl, b. 05/25/1911 d. 04/14/1981  In WW2 Tony was in the 82nd Airborne Division. Raibl, Tony J. CPT, in the Airborne Landings Near St. Mere Eglise, France, 6-8 June 1944" (Normandy Campaign) crashed in a glider and was wounded, also JULY 1950 Seriously wounded in action by missile in South Korea. Both buried Barrancas National Cemetery, Pensacola, Escambia County, FL

I have my dad's yearbook from the 82nd. I can check to see if it describes any HQ DivArty actions (ie, glider vs plane).

Hope this is of some help. joan

Elliot Schneider Navigator

Roy,

They started making hospital records available and here was what came up for your father.

Full Name:

Beatty, Russell S

Race:

White, includes Mexican

Admission Age:

Admission Date:

Oct 1944

Admission Type of Injury:

Casualty, battle

Military Service Number:

Enlisted Man

Branch:

Field Artillery, General or Unspecified

Length of Service:

2 Year(s), 5 Month(s)

Injured in Line of Duty:

In line of duty

Medical Diagnosis:

First Location: Arm; Second Diagnosis: Paralysis, nerve, other & unspecified, not elsewhere classified; Second Location: Median nerve; ; Causative Agent: Aerial Bomb, Fragments, Afoot or Unspecified

Medical Treatment:

Closure of wound, delayed (suture, secondary to wound) (delayed closure)

Discharge Type:

Discharged, Sec. II, AR 615-360 (line of duty, Yes)

Discharge Date:

Aug 1944

Conflict Period:

World War II

Served for:

United States of America

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

Roy Hardy Newbie

Thanks for your response Elliot

He had no use of 3 fingers on his left hand and worked as an auto mechanic after the war.  He received a 75% disability rating, I think.

Do After Action reports or morning reports still exist that may show the incident that led to his wounds?  I wonder if any other soldiers were wounded or Killed at the same time

joan stachnik Scout

Roy, below are the tow plane/glider serials for Market Garden (Sept 18-23). A bit difficult to read but there is an HQ Div Arty in the first table (about the middle of the table), and what looks like HQ/HQ Btry Div Arty in the second table. If you read across the columns, information includes glider number, outcome for the glider, then personnel, and equipment, along with drop zone. So if this is the unit you are looking for, Cpl Beatty likely dropped into Holland by glider. Hope this is of some help. joan

Market Garden serial tables

Elliot Schneider Navigator

Roy,

Yes morning reports do exist. Look at Joan's response she may have some with your dads name on them already. She has been researching her father as well and has some great information. I would get a hold of her and ask for her email address she may be able to scan some things to you.

Morning reports really varied from unit to unit depending on how much information they wanted to include, just a heads up you will not find rosters for units during 1944-1945 they were destroyed according to Army regulation disposition schedule back then.

Question: Have you tried contacting the VA Records Office they maybe able to release any records that they may have on your father.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

joan stachnik Scout

Hi Roy, Elliot is right about Morning Reports. Depending on the situation, MRs might even have the hospital where Cpl Beatty was treated. I scanned through the ones I have, specifically for Oct 44, no mention of Russell Beatty. But my dad was in the 320th GFAB HQ battery. So you'd need to look at the DivArty HQ battery MRs. These should be at the St. Louis archives, whenever they are open again. After action reports don't include information on individual servicemen. I did look through my dad's 82nd Airborne yearbook, but it is very general, with a heavy focus on paratroopers.

And, as Elliott suggested, definitely try the VA services. With 75% disability, he may have needed follow-up care at a VA hospital when he returned. And I assume you requested his service records from the Archives. Although 80%+ were destroyed in the fire, it is still worth putting in a request. Do you have any other documents besides the separation papers?  I was surprised how much paperwork my dad had saved from his service.

And if Cpl Beatty had been a paratrooper (not in a glider unit), there might be jump manifests around. But you would need to know his specific unit. Hope this is of some help. joan

joan stachnik Scout

Hi Roy, thanks for posting the photo of Cpl. Beatty. I noticed in the photo that the rifle he is holding has what looks like a collapsable stock? I know very little (actually nothing) about military weapons, but I think that particular rifle was made specifically for Airborne (paratroopers).  Do you know the date of the photo? I ask because I have a document on the D-Day invasion: "Operation Neptune Airborne Troops" dated May 1944. It is not specific for any individuals, but it does describe the role of the airborne units, including artillery. Some of the DivArty HQ battery parachuted into Normandy. So even tho Capt. Raibl landed by glider, Cpl. Beatty may have dropped by parachute. I put an excerpt of the document below. But the best source for information on Cpl. Beatty will be the morning reports for the battery. Hope this is of some help. joan