3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2020 10:44 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking father's draft card

Ely D Vargas Newbie

I am trying to find my father's draft card.  My father was in the military in the Dominican Republic and was part of a group of soldiers saved by U.S. soldiers in the 1960s.  My father showed me the draft card, that  he kept in his wallet and told me the story of how he (along with others) was given safe exit from the Dominican Republic to Puerto Rico.  Part of that included being part of the Vietnam Draft. He never served, but I was interested in getting a copy of the draft card and any other documents that may be on file for him. My father passed away back in 2009. My brother took his wallet and claimed the draft card was not in there.  But I remember seeing it and remember my father kept it in a less visible part of his wallet.  In any case, I'd really like to find that card and any other documents related to that time period when he was, essentially rescued from the Dominican Republic (which is a longer story).

• Re: Seeking father's draft card
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Ely,

You should copy and paste this into your web browser, its a link to a report about military operation in the Dominican Republic during the 1960s.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a211926.pdf

Elliot

• Re: Seeking father's draft card
            Rachael Salyer Scout

Dear Mr. Vargas,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and were born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: cards and classification histories. The individual Draft Registration Card (SSS Form 1) may contain information such as: name, Selective Service registration number, age, date and place of birth, ethnicity, place of residence at time of registration and basic physical description. The Classification History (SSS Form 102) may contain: name; date of birth; classification and date of mailing notice; date of appeal to the board; date and results of armed forces physical examination; entry into active duty or civilian work in lieu of induction (may include date, branch of service entered and mode of entry, such as enlisted or ordered); date of separation from active duty or civilian work; and general remarks. Please complete a Form NA-13172 to request a search of these records.

For men who registered for the draft prior to 1976, all other individual draftee files besides the cards and classification histories were destroyed by the Selective Service System in 1978, in accordance with approved records retention schedules. Physical examination and test results, medical letters, laboratory work, and other medical documentation that may have been included in these files no longer exist.

We also searched the National Archives Catalog and located several series that may provide some useful information about the situation in the Dominican Republic in the 1960s, including the series Records Related to the 1965 Dominican Republic Intervention, 1965-1987 and the series Files Relating to the U.S. in the Dominican Republic Crisis, 1965-1966 from the Records of the Army Staff (Record Group 319); the series Unit Records Created During the Dominican Republic Intervention, 5/1965-9/1966 from the Records of the U.S. Continental Army Command  (Record Group 546); and the series Operation Power Pack Administrative Files, 4/28/1965--9/1966 from the Records of U.S. Air Force Activities, Commands, and Organizations (Record Group 342)

Additionally, we located two series from the Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59) that may include some relevant information, including: Subject Files Relating to the Dominican Republic Crisis, 1965-1966 and Records Relating to the Dominican Republic, 1964-1973.

The series listed above have not been digitized. For further assistance with these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful